Shows & Theaters
Campers choose to appear in either Musical or Drama productions.
Auditions are kept fun and easy: In partnership with another camper their own age, they read a short scene on stage, then each is given the opportunity to sing. A short workshop beforehand prepares each child, and gives them a chance to work with the pianist playing their audition.
We perform 14 full-scale
shows every three weeks
in eight indoor and
Our dramatic shows cover a wide range of styles. From Shakespeare to Farce, Modern Comedy to Period Tragedy, Stagedoor does it all! Here are a few of our favorite Dramas:
The Laramie Project, Tartuffe, Our Country’s Good, Madwoman of Chaillot, Our Town, Pride and Prejudice, Caucasian Chalk Circle, Letters to Sala, The Vampyre, Romeo and Juliet, Lend Me a Tenor, The Crucible, The Imaginary Invalid, Columbinus, Mousetrap, Sweatshop, Radium Girls, The Crucible, Ring Round the Moon, The Children’s Hour, Macbeth, Steel Magnolias, Shakespeare Abridged, Pilgrims of the Night, The 39 Steps, Crimes of the Heart, Importance of Being Earnest, Inherit the Wind, The Bad Seed, Little Women, Piece of My Heart, Anatomy of Gray, and Leading Ladies.
Yes, we produce the great Broadway Musicals! We also occasionally produce new works with special permission from MTI and gifted artists and theater legends like Cameron Mackintosh. Some of our favorites include:
Into the Woods, Les Miserables, The Producers, Side Show, Mystery of Edwin Drood, Pippin, Big Fish, Nice Work If You Can Get It, Spring Awakening, Drowsy Chaperone, Jesus Christ Superstar, Bare, Rent, West Side Story, The Wiz, Carrie, Titanic, Zombie Prom, Once On This Island, Sweet Charity, Addams Family, Evita, Cabaret, Legally Blonde, Footloose, Urinetown, Annie, Sweeney Todd, Bonnie and Clyde, Bat Boy, Sound of Music, How To Succeed In Business, Spamalot, The Wild Party, Fame, Children of Eden, Curtains, Jekyll and Hyde, Wedding Singer, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Avenue Q, 13, High School Musical, Secret Garden, Chicago, Phantom, and Little Shop of Horrors!
A variety of performance spaces include:
• The Carl and Elsie Samuelson Theater: A 350-seat mainstage proscenium, home of the “Players Ensemble” and featured in the movie “Camp.”
• The Jack Romano Playhouse: A 350-seat smaller proscenium, home of the “Our Time Cabaret.”
• The Forum Theater: Our newest 350-seat space! A fully-covered theater that still has the feeling of a summer pavillion.
• The Oasis Theater: 350 seats with a unique in-the-round environment, home of creative writing “Dramafest.”
• The Cabaret Theater: A revue-style stage with flexible 120 seats, brings the audience up close.
• The Carousel and The Merman Theaters: Two intimate black box spaces, seating about 80, for intense dramatic atmosphere.
• The Garden: A magical natural amphitheater, with open seating under the stars.
Professional Scenic, Costume, and Lighting designers make Stagedoor productions look great!
Two scenic shops and an air-conditioned costume shop with abundant stock accommodates our technical staff. Over 60 specialists design and create the 42 different shows we mount each summer.
While Stagedoor performance students do not participate in the technical side of their productions, a limited number of Technical Camper spaces are available. These students work as assistant stage managers alongside our professional Production Stage Managers.
We guarantee individual attention and expression by averaging 26 campers or less to each production.